How to Take Valtrex Pills
A fast and effective way of treating herpes today is achieved by the antiviral agent Valtrex. Its use at the initial stage will stop the virus replication and the disease will end in the itch. Valtrex with valacyclovir is converted to acyclovir in the body of a sick person. This substance has a harmful effect on many strains of herpes virus.
Dosage guide: how to take Valtrex pills correctly when treating herpes
We recommend taking Valtrex pills with water regardless of eating. The scheme of treatment with Valtrex is developed by the doctor based on a variety of the disease and the individual characteristics of the person.
- When treating herpes zoster, the daily dosage of Valtrex is 3 g (1 g of medication is taken 3 times a day for 1 week).
- If it is required to treat infections that provoked HSV activity, the daily dosage will be different: 500 mg Valtrex twice a day for 5 days. According to the doctor’s decision, the course can be extended up to 10 days.
- Excess doses are fraught with the appearance of various adverse symptoms:
- Depression of consciousness.
- Renal failure.
- Emotional arousal, involving anxiety, fear, and motor/speech anxiety.
- People who are prone to dehydration are recommended to use increased volumes of fluids when treating with Valtrex. This rule applies to elderly, as well.
- For prophylactic treatment of genital herpes with relapses up to 9 episodes a year, sick persons are recommended to follow this regimen for taking Valtrex:
- With regular sexual life – 500 mg once a day for 1 year.
- With irregular sexual life, the dosage is the same, but the pill should be taken 3 days before the sexual intercourse.
- To prevent infection with cytomegalovirus, Valtrex is prescribed in a dose of 2 g 4 times a day. Pills are taken immediately after the organ transplant surgery. The dose is reduced gradually, taking into account the rate of creatinine withdrawal by the urinary system.
Treatment of Pregnant Women with Valtrex
The doctor decides whether it is necessary to treat a pregnant woman from herpes with Valtrex pills. Information on the benefits and harm of Valtrex for pregnant and lactating women is not enough. Therefore, the specialist prescribes Valtrex only if the benefit of treating the mother significantly prevails over the risks to the fetus or newborn.
Valtrex pills are perfectly ingested in the body. However, sometimes side effects from different organs and systems are observed in some people. These are eruptions and irritations on the skin, Quincke’s edema, dizziness and headaches, shortness of breath, nausea.
Benefits of taking Valtrex pills:
– Unlike other antiviral drugs, Valtrex does not suspend but blocks the herpes simplex virus replication.
– For treatment of recurrence of herpes, only 2 Valtrex pills are required per day against 5 acyclovir pills.
– When treating recurrence of genital herpes, the patient takes 2 Valtrex pills for 3 days against 5 acyclovir pills for 5-10 days. During suppressive therapy, the patient takes 500 mg of Valtrex per day against 800 mg of acyclovir. Less stress on the liver;
– Valtrex does not cause dysbacteriosis of the intestine, it can be taken when driving a car.
– Valtrex does not affect the immune and endocrine system of the body, the ability to have children.
– It can be combined with most other medicines.
-Valtrex does not affect memory, attention, and reaction speed.
– It does not have teratogenic and mutagenic effects.
– In most cases, Valtrex quickly and effectively treats genital herpes, herpes on the lips, and shingles.